Sunday, September 25, 2011

Growing up with Walt Disney

     Were you born in the '90's? When animated films are at their highest height? Well if your were, you might be one of Disney's children. We all know that Walt Disney Films are successful in making traditionally animated musical films right? Well, there are just some kids who grew up with them and got influenced by them during the early years of their lives. One of them is me.

     Yes, I grew up watching Disney Films. Their songs are like the national anthem of my childhood. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dumbo, Bambi, The Lion King, Fantasia, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, The Lady and the Tramp, The Fox and the Hound, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, Pocahontas, Alice in Wonderland, The Sword in the Stone, and almost all of them are my favorites. My mom told me that the first movie I saw in the movie theaters was Pocahontas which was released on 1995. Though I couldn't remember watching it at that time because I was still one year old, I remember the memorable scenes of Pocahontas because I watched it almost every time and so are other Disney Films during my early childhood years. I just remember the magical moments when Snow White and Sleeping Beauty got rescued by their prince with a kiss from a sleeping death, when Cinderella turned out to be more beautiful than her step sisters regardless of the dirty rags she was wearing, when Alice discovered a land full of wonders and nonsense, and when Peter Pan invited common children, Wendy, John, and Michael to visit his home in Neverland. I cried during the part when Bambi lost his mother, when Simba tried to talk and help his father get up even though he knew that his father is already dead, when Quasimodo got ridiculed and got laughed at by the ignorant mob of Paris because of his physical appearance, when Tarzan found out that his parents got killed and eaten by a wild jaguar, and when Dumbo was separated from his mother because of the defensive act his mother tried to show when both the people and the animals in the circus teased him because of his large ears. I learned honesty through Pinocchio, bravery and honor through Mulan, and kindness through Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Because of Pocahontas, I learned to respect others no matter what culture they practice, what beliefs they believe in, and what race they belong to. I learned obedience through The Little Mermaid. I learned perseverance, determination, and contentment in Hercules. Not only did these films entertain me, they also taught me great values. I got inspired by the characters and it feels like I'm one of them. Disney Films really did play a great part of my childhood years and I thank them for that.

     That feeling of nostalgia when you try to reminisce these films and when you watch them again. It just feels amazing. Even though I am already a teenager, I still consider myself one of Disney's children. Although nowadays, Disney aren't already producing these kinds of classical films (except for The Princess and the Frog and Tangled I suppose), their old films will always be there to entertain, teach, and inspire me and I believe that one day, Disney will be able to make classical films like these again.


- Angelo Lorenzo

No comments:

Post a Comment