Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Lord of the Flies

     Today I was in a bookstore for quite some time. I spent it with looking and lifting up books and reading its summary written on the back cover. I found some interesting books like those of John Grisham, Danielle Steele, Brian Jacques, and popular ones like those of Anne Rice, Dan Brown, and One Day by David Nicholls which is to be released as a film in theaters soon. But there was one book that caught my attention. That is The Lord of the Flies. One thing which made me like it is because I have heard of that book before. It's quite popular and it's sort of an allegory. I love books which are allegories most especially when they are in the Fantasy Genre like The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (both are based on Christianity). I also like allegories which are inspirational and full of learning insights like The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

     The Lord of the Flies is about a group of British Boys stuck on a deserted island. As they were there, they tried to govern one another until what they received as results are disastrous. The book was written by William Golding who is a Nobel-Prize award winning author. As much as I would want to buy the book, I chose to wait because I want it to be one of my birthday presents this year either from my mom or dad or my sister or my friends and so that I can save money for myself. I'm still trying to figure out why the author chose to name the book, "The Lord of the Flies" as its title. I guess I can figure that out when I am reading the book.

- Angelo Lorenzo

No comments:

Post a Comment